A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP!
Getting good rest is essential to your health. Bad sleeping hygiene and interruption can be a contributing factor to a range of health issues including, obesity, anxiety, depression, slower reaction times and degraded memory.
We need to consider some of these useful tips for a restful sleep.
- Stick to sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time. This helps with regulating the body clock
- If you find it hard to sleep at night then its best to avoid day time naps
- Daily aerobic type exercise is good but avoid exercising before sleeping
- Relaxing bed time ritual can be practiced for example listening to melodious music or meditating
- Have a comfortable mattress
- Temperature of room is important for sleeping. Depending on climate set room temperature to your comfort
- Room should be free from noise pollution to help with sleeping
- Caffeine, cigarettes and large meals should be avoided before sleeping
- Need to wind down before sleeping. Avoid use of electronic devises as the light emanating from the screens of these decides activates the brain by suppressing melatonin, a hormone that tells the brain to sleep.
- If you still can’t sleep, then its best to seek medical advice to find out what is causing you sleep difficulties
By Dr Cheran Ruben
- Bushnell PT, Colombi A, Caruso CC, Tak SW. (2010). Work Schedules and Health Behavior Outcomes at a Large Manufacturer. Industrial Health, 48 (4): 395-405.
- Caruso CC, Hitchcock EM. (2010). Strategies for Nurses to Prevent Sleep-Related Injuries and Errors. Rehabilitation Nursing. 35 (5): 192-7.
- Grosch J, Caruso CC, Rosa RR, Sauter SL. (2006). Long hours of work in the US: Associations with demographic and organizational characteristics, psychosocial working conditions, and health. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 49, 11: 943-952.
- Nakata A.(2011). Work hours, sleep sufficiency, and prevalence of depression among full-time employees: a community-based cross-sectional study. J Clin Psychiatry. May;72(5):605-14.
Call: (08) 9321 1964
Address: 9 Colin Street West Perth 6005 Western Australia